I've decided that 2014 is the "Year of the Pharmacist." As we see the pharmacy profession and pharmacy industry transform before our eyes, stay tuned for information you need to stay current. We try to explore subjects that are timely and relevant to pharmacy, and propose topics you may be thinking about.

Please, send us your thoughts and comments. Any feedback we receive will be used in the improvement of this site.

Happy New Year! Wecome to the Year of the Pharmacist!

rphinterest.blogspot.com... Don't accept mediocre when excellence is the goal.







“I trust my drug dealer. I’ve had him for ten years.”

Customer: “Do you have real Xanax back there?”

Pharmacist: “All of the drugs in the pharmacy are real and approved by the FDA, ma’am.”

Customer: “I think I got some bad Xanax.  I don’t feel right.”

Pharmacist: “If you’re not well, I think you should go to the hospital to be checked.  There’s been a lot of synthetic Xanax in the area and it’s very dangerous.”

Customer: “No.  I trust my drug dealer.  I’ve had him for ten years.”

I heard this and didn’t know if I wanted to cry, put it on a t-shirt because it’s so ridiculous, or become a Republican.  You should probably know that this posting will most likely not be politically correct, and it is 100% the views and unqualified opinions of me – the blogger.  As far as I know, my words do not represent anyone or anything other than myself.

A friend told me another one this week…  People are getting high on “bath salts,” going crazy, and becoming cannibals.  I thought she was crazy, but I called on my most trusted resource – Google – and started reading.  She’s right.  People are injecting, snorting and smoking this new designer drug.  The main synthetic “Bath Salts” ingredients:
·         mephedrone
·         MDPV
·         methylone

These chemicals, along with others formulated by “street chemists”, were being sold in gas stations and convenience stores – displayed right on the counter near the cash register.  Now they are being sold on line and from behind the counter in smoke shops and c-stores.  Customers are currently required to ask for the product by name: Ivory Dove Ultra is $16 for a 200-mg packet.  The package clearly warns that the product is not for human consumption.

Well, humans are consuming.  Earlier this month, Miami News reported a 31-year old man high on “bath salts” attacked an older man and ate his face.  The attacker could not be subdued and was shot and killed by police officers.  Other cities are reporting incidents of users acting as “psychotic ravaging beasts,” clearly a preface to the cannibalistic activities.

                BREAKING NEWS: as of June 29th, toxicology reports showed that marijuana
                was the only illegal drug in the Miami attacker’s system.  Scientists admit,
                however, that they don’t know what other chemicals to test for, or do not
                have tests developed to look for the known synthetic ingredients.

Cannibalism.  As a society, how have we gotten to this point?  I get that people can be addicted to things  - like video games, smart phones, fast food, alcohol, cigarettes.  Some is human nature – some people are predisposed more than others towards addictiveness.  But as healthcare professionals, are we required to show compassion to everyone?  My gut says we are, but I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around ravaging cannibals and kindness.

As adults, I believe we need to do whatever is required to protect our youthbut at what point is my obligation to my fellow man fulfilled?  There are many days where I feel like I’ve done my part, but then my conscience gets the better of me.  Perhaps I can find a balance of compassion and concern while not condoning one’s behavior?  I support the First Amendment as much as the next guy, but when we need the Second Amendment to protect ourselves from people making conscious decisions to use drugs like "bath salts”, you have to wonder… Where it will end?

Where is your end?  Where is your line in the sand?

2 comments:

  1. I guess on the bright side, the man must have had
    good breath from all that bath salt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What ever happen to the days when a person
    created a product for the intent to better another person? To deceive the public and try pull a ruse
    just to make a buck? And now we have to make sure and keep current on all this stuff just so we can
    keep our children safe. Who knows maybe
    the 10 year “trustworthy” drug dealer and the bath salt maker are the same person… Just keep in mind anytime we you hear about the crazy things kids or people are doing, its most likely been out there for a while.

    ReplyDelete